Modern-day accessibility in a simply beautiful setting. City Park is complete with shopping conveniences and services, a 140-acre park featuring mountain bike trails, tennis courts, baseball and soccer fields as well as an 18-hole golf course. This pedestrian-friendly, fully integrated development is designed to accommodate 2,500 residential units, 200,000 SF of retail space, 400,000 SF of office space and 350 hotel rooms. City Park’s prime location and idyllic surroundings distinguish it from any other mixed-use development in Charlotte.
Pope & Land acquired the former Charlotte Coliseum from the City of Charlotte with the goal of redeveloping it into a mixed-use community. The 18,000 seat facility was the former home of the Charlotte Hornets basketball team and the site of numerous concerts and world class events. Just 5 minutes from the airport surrounded by excellent existing infrastructure and millions of square feet of suburban office space occupied by blue chip companies.
Pope & Land’s Role
- Raised private equity and debt to acquire and redevelop the property
- Obtained commitments from the City of Charlotte for public infrastructure investments
- Created the City Park brand
- Entitled the site to accommodate more than 2,500 residential units, 350 hotel rooms, more than 200,000 SF of retail and 400,000 SF of office
- Retained 50 mature oak trees which were part of a landscape art installation named Topo which was designed by renowned architect Maya Lin, the architect of the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- Preserved greenspaces and created numerous linear and pocket parks encompassing more than 20 acres
- Auctioned the contents of the Charlotte Coliseum and donated proceeds to local charities
- Demolished the former Charlotte Coliseum and recycled more than 90% of the concrete, rock, stone and asphalt on site
- Returned more than 2.5 million square feet of impervious surfaces to dirt then began development of new infrastructure incorporating recycled materials
- Marketed and sold sites for new apartment, hotel and retail development